Let’s face it ladies, knowledge is power.
Roads to success are often paved by learning from the experience of others.
So, while you are busy saving for the motivational seminar of a lifetime (or personal coaching to take you to the next level) why not dive into this list of 10 Books Every Successful Woman Must Read?
As a life-long, certifiable, book-junkie, I have taken the hard work out for you and created my Top Ten list.
#1 Lean In by Sheryl Sandburg: Yep, this is the gold standard for any woman braving the current work culture. Written Pre #Me-Too and #TimesUp, COO of Facebook Sheryl shares personal stories, uses research to shine the light on gender differences, and offers practical advice to help women achieve their goals. Sheryl also just released a Lean in For Graduates which offers advice for young women about getting the most out of a first job.
#2 You Are A Badass : How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero. Full disclosure. I think this is one of my favorite books. Jen shares wisdom learned (quite late in life) about how to apply different ways of thinking into different ways of being… and thus getting different results in your life. In this refreshingly blunt how-to guide, Sincero, serves up 27 bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, life-changing insights, easy exercises and the occasional swear word. I suggest Audio-books for this one. Jen is hilarious.
#3 Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms by Amanda Steinberg. Every successful and empowered woman knows how to handle her finances. If this is not your strong suit, Amanda offers great real-world advice with her riches-to rags-to riches story that every hard working woman can relate to. Amanda, who is the CEO of DailyWorth.com—the go-to financial site for women with more than one million subscribers—delivers a fresh book that redefines the relationship between women, self-worth, and money. Worth It shows women how to view money as a source of personal power and freedom—and live life on their terms.
4. Girl- Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis.Each chapter of Girl, Wash Your Face begins with a specific lie Hollis once believed that left her feeling overwhelmed, unworthy, or ready to give up. As a working mother, a former foster parent, and a woman who has dealt with insecurities about her body and relationships, she speaks with the insight and kindness of a BFF, helping women unpack the limiting mind-sets that destroy their self-confidence and keep them from moving forward.
5. Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur by Cara Leyba. GIRL CODE is a roadmap for female entrepreneurs, professional women, “side hustlers” (those with a day job who are building a business on the side), and anyone in between who wants to become a better woman. Life Coach Cara Leyba will teach you how to build confidence in yourself, reconnect with your “why,” eradicate jealousy, and ultimately learn the power of connection. Because at the end of the day, that’s what life and business is all about.
6. Own It: The Power of Women at Work by Sallie Krawcheck. Former Wall Street powerhouse-turned-entrepreneur Krawcheck says success for professional women will no longer be about trying to compete at the men’s version of the game, and it will no longer be about contorting ourselves to men’s expectations of how powerful people behave. Instead, it’s about embracing and investing in our innate strengths as women – and bringing them proudly and unapologetically, to work.
7. Braving the Wilderness : The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brene’ Brown. In Braving the Wilderness, Brown redefines what it means to truly belong in an age of increased polarization. With her trademark mix of research, storytelling, and honesty, Brown will again change the cultural conversation while mapping a clear path to true belonging.
8. Getting Back to Happy: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Reality and Turn Your Trials into Triumphs by Marc and Angel Chernoff. Getting Back to Happy reveals empowering advice and strategies for changing thought patterns and daily habits to bounce back from tough times. Sharing never-before-published stories and advice, the book shows us how to harness the power of daily rituals, mindfulness, self-care, and more to overcome whatever life throws our way–in order to become our best selves.
9. Boss Bitch : A Simple 12 Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career by Nicole Lapin. New York Times bestselling author Nicole Lapin is back with a sassy and actionable guide empowering women to be the boss of their lives and their careers. A Boss Bitch is the she-ro of her own story. She is someone who takes charge of her future and embraces being a “boss” in all aspects of the word: whether as the boss of her own life, family and career, the literal boss at work, or, as the boss of her own company. Whichever she chooses (or all three), a Boss Bitch is someone who gets out there and makes her success happen — and so can you.
10. Feminist Fight Club: A Survival Manual for a Sexist Work Place by Jessica Bennett. Hard-hitting and entertaining, Feminist Fight Club blends personal stories with research, statistics, infographics, and no-bullsh*t expert advice. Bennett offers a new vocabulary for the sexist workplace archetypes women encounter everyday—such as the Manterrupter who talks over female colleagues in meetings or the Himitator who appropriates their ideas—and provides practical hacks for navigating other gender landmines in today’s working world.
Summer reading list? CHECK!
No time? Try out Audible and listen to them on your commute. You will arrive to work in a great mood and empowered!
Don’t see your favorite on the list? Please leave your suggestion in the comments! I would love to add to my library!
Need a little more Empowerment? Click here to download your FREE 21 Days to a More Empowered You: Personal Blueprint for Change. This step by step daily guide workbook will walk you through discovering you, thinking differently and making actionable changes to achieve your goals and live your best life.
Want to join our FREE online Empowered Women, Empower Women Facebook Group? Click here! We would love to have you. No Mean Girls allowed.